Road Commission of Kalamazoo County (RCKC) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Road Maintenance Superintendent. The Road Maintenance Superintendent is a member of the management team and the primary supervisor of road maintenance staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- On a regular basis, meets with the General Superintendent and other members of management team to discuss infrastructure maintenance and improvements.
- Supervises road maintenance staff. Prepares daily work schedules and assigns personnel. Inspects work performed for accountability in performance and quality of work.
- Performs various personnel functions such as training and evaluating employees.
- Understands and applies RCKC specifications/policies, collective bargaining agreement, etc.
- Coordinates bids and requests for proposals in maintenance operations as needed.
- Certified in soil erosion and sedimentation control, storm water, project, and asphalt inspection.
- Supervises and inspects maintenance work performed by contractors such as: snow removal, tree removal, guardrail spraying, brush spraying, cleaning of drainage structures, and road pavement projects.
- Supervises and inspects project preparation including utility coordination. Coordinates with Project Superintendent, as necessary.
- Completes and coordinates bridge routine and preventive maintenance with the Engineering Department.
- Manages material inventory, as necessary.
- Coordinates the pavement marking program. Receives input regarding paving schedules, ensures that pavement has been properly prepared and ready to be marked. Inspects completed marking projects to ensure that they conform to contract specifications.
- Meets with township officials to discuss infrastructure issues and suggests improvements.
- Responds to service requests; resolving issues by providing the requested relief or explaining why the issue cannot be resolved as requested. Monitors performance of service request completion. Keeps the General Superintendent informed of sensitive issues.
- Prepares various forms and reports associated with the work. Including a detailed written update weekly and/or as requested on project status, personnel, maintenance schedules, 5-year maintenance plans, public relations, service requests, etc. Provides solutions as needed.
- Monitors the annual budget to ensure that expenditures are within budget appropriations. Communicates with the General Superintendent regularly on budget areas.
- On a rotating basis, is on-call for emergencies outside normal business hours to contact appropriate staff for; obstructions in the roadway, downed or missing traffic signs, snow accumulation and icy road conditions, traffic accidents, etc. Contracts the appropriate personnel. Shift modification may be necessary.
- Other duties as assigned, including coverage during absences.
- Salary $86,846 – $104,211 (Exempt)
HIGHLIGHTED BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- Health and dental insurance that starts on your first day
- Pension – 100% paid by RCKC
- Ten (10) paid holidays
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Short-term disability
- Life insurance
Winter schedule: Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM with potential for overtime.
Summer schedule: Monday through Thursday, 6:30 AM to 5:00 PM with potential for overtime (subject to change).
- Education: High school graduation or equivalent.
- Experience: Minimum of four years of infrastructure construction or maintenance experience. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Other Requirements: Possession of a valid state of Michigan driver’s license - CDLGroup A License. Certified in soil erosion and sedimentation control, storm water, project, and asphalt inspector. Computer use including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Roadsoft.
To apply for the Road Maintenance Superintendent position please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or USPS to the RCKC 3801 East Kilgore Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49001. Candidates requiring confidentiality should so indicate. Please no phone call position inquiries.
See below for full job description.